The forecast said rain or heavy rain for each day of the week I’d planned to be in Elba for my background research. But this was my only chance and the bookings couldn’t be cancelled. In any case, Silvanus experienced bad weather – very bad weather – so why shouldn’t I? In fact, I needed to, in order to better describe his experience. So off I set on Sunday morning, 6th October 2013 by train via Zürich, Milano, Piombino, and then ferry to Portoferraio – a full day’s travel.
This is how the week progressed:
- Monday 7th: Portoferraio library – Valle dei
Mulini, Marciana Alta – Grotta di San Cerbone
- Wednesday, 9th: Monte Capanne – Caprili –
- Thursday, 10th: B&B In Poggio – Angelo Mazzei – Marciana Marina
- Friday 11th: Casalino del Castagno – Paolo and
Silvestre Ferruzzi – Swim at Marciana Marina
- Saturday 12th: Museo Archeologico de Marciana – Portoferraio
- Sunday 13th: Home again.
I’m truly amazed at how much I was able to experience in that one week and, especially, that I could meet such knowledgeable people, who could fill me in on the historical background of 6th century Elba. I take it as a gift of God.